There are over 1.9 billion logged in users on YouTube, with about 9 million of those users from Nigeria.
Over 400 hours of video is uploaded in Nigeria every minute, and in 2019, the time spent watching YouTube content has grown by 150% in Nigeria.
What this means is simple, there is a growing market out there for your content and you need to tap into it to build your brand.
You’ve Got Content, What Next?:
So you have created your YouTube channel and you have a couple of ideas on the kind of content you want to create, what’s next?
- Clearly define your goals.
- Research YouTube trends, find out what content people are watching.
- Aim to inspire, educate and entertain.
- Build a solid content plan
- Map out your content distribution strategy.
To be sure that you are creating the right kind of content, find out if the content you have created ticks the following boxes:
- Solves a problem
- Influences consideration of your brand
- Drives online and offline engagement and actions
- Cultivates loyalty and creates evangelists of your brand.
Getting Your Format Right
To ensure that your content is in line with YouTube best practices, you must create videos tailored for the platform.
Here are a few key video and audio specifications to remember:
- Video codec: H.264
- Audio codec: AAC
- Audio bitrate: 128 kbps or better
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- YouTube recommends a resolution of at least 1280×720 for video that has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a resolution of at least 640×480 for video that has a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Use Your Tools Right
As a Nigerian creative who is intent on getting the best out of YouTube, you should get acquainted with the basic tools that can help you enhance organic engagement on your channel.
Let’s take a look at important tools to remember:
Cards: These are very useful for increasing engagement on your videos. They appear at the top of videos as quick prompts and can be used to point users to suggest new content for your viewers. You can also use cards to run polls and surveys to measure the interests of your users.
Endscreens: YouTube replaced annotations with Endscreens to help creators drive views for their video content. You can use endscreens to introduce your audiences to fresh new videos or old content they must have missed. Using this tool wisely can lead to a significant increase in video views.
Optimize Your Content for Reach and Engagement
Here are a few important steps to take if you want to properly position your content for high reach and engagement on YouTube:
- Ensure to write keyword optimized titles, descriptions, and tags.
- Ditch YouTube’s auto captions as they are usually not 100% accurate. Generate your own captions to boost audience retention. – Your audience can watch your content without turning on the audio.
- If you can, translate your video transcripts and offer subtitles in multiple languages.
- Make sure you say you’re the keywords that are relevant to your brand loud and clear in your videos.
- Use a neat and compelling thumbnail.
Since YouTube turned off the auto-share feature early in 2019, manual sharing is the best strategy to adopt for digital content distribution.
Make good use of the YouTube community and stories to cultivate engagement and loyalty amongst your viewers.
Also make use of call to actions in your description and within your videos to drive actions by your viewers.
Should I Leave YouTube for Facebook?
While no one in their right mind would actually do this, it helps to begin to create and share your video content on Facebook. In the past few months, Facebook has turned on several features to support video sharing on the platform, including Watch, Playlists, and Video monetization.
Imagine all the cool funds you could be making in the next couple of months after you have deposited your exciting content on Facebook!
Creating Video Ads
While this is an entire subject on its own, there are a 4 key principles guiding the creation of content for video ads that will get you great return on investment. The best performing video ads on YouTube have worked with these principles and have recorded successful video ad campaigns.
Here are the ABCDs of Video Ad creation:
A Attract attention : The first few seconds of your video should be designed to snatch attention immediately. Don’t waste time on scenes that say nothing to your audience.
B Integrate your brand naturally & meaningfully. Your brand should be as visible as possible in the first 5 seconds of your video.
C Connect : Connect with your viewer through emotion and compelling storytelling. Break the fourth wall by using on-screen talent (or you) to interact with your viewers.
D Direct: Be clear on the actions you want your audience to take. Your CTAs should be used in descriptions, CTA overlays and within your video.