I am hoping I keep up to my promise to post something here every other day. It might sound very strange, but being on social media 24/7 does not really give me enough time to settle down to write anything, but today I am free so, here I am! Today I want to talk about social media do’s. There are lots of don’ts, but I want to focus first on the things you should do when you are on social media. If you stumbled on this post while trying to educate yourself on how to do social media right, you are in the right place. Find my social media do’s below.
- Have an open mind – No matter what social media app you are on, whether it is Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, you need to be ready for anything. There are a lot of new things you will find out about the world, (and most times about yourself) on social media. If you do not have an open mind, you might find yourself logging out after maybe one hour.
- Be creative – Whether you are running your personal account or working to push your small business, you need to be creative to attract an audience and retain them. Just like no man is an island, you do not want to keep talking to yourself all the time. Think of creative ways to attract people to your page/account, and you will be well on your way to establishing yourself on social media.
- Add friends – This should have come second; you need to add friends on your page so that they can in turn share your posts to others. Do not limit yourself to people from say just your high school, or college. Be friends with their own friends and friends with their friends. 😀 .
- Be Consistent – The key to keeping people interested in your posts is to post consistently. This does not mean that you should bombard your followers with irrelevant content though, you need to keep it relevant and engaging. Three to four posts a day should be enough.
- Be Friendly – Now that you have a few people reading your posts and liking your content, you need to hold their engagement by giving your responses a more personal feel. Do not provide “robotic” answers to inquiries or comments, instead, converse with your audience like you are actually human and one of them. 🙂
- Be Focused – It is very easy to get carried away on Social Media. You want to get as many impressions as you can get, so you are tempted to try everything you can. One advice, DON”T. Focus on your main goal. Whether you are on Twitter or Facebook, ensure to keep the conversations about your products and services, and topics relating to them. The minute you let yourself be distracted, you might begin to lose your audience.
- Use quality Visuals – One important form of content you need to engage your audience is good Visuals. You can create fun images and short videos to add life to your brand. So if you are selling shoes, you need a kick-ass image with shoes in it in the most creative way to attract your audience. For Facebook, you can alternate between images and short videos. Your videos should be short and simple (minimum of 30secs – 1min) , and should be catchy enough to draw people to your page. Again, be creative!
- Spy On Others – Yes! You should! 😀 You need to check on what others are doing. I am not saying you should copy, but you can draw inspiration from others, knowing what works for them and what doesn’t, provided they are doing something similar to what you are doing.
That is all I can think of for now. If you feel I have missed out anything, you could add it in the comment section, your input is so important to me. These tips I have shared have worked for me so far, and I hope you will find them useful. If you have any questions, please ask me in the comments section and I will respond accordingly.
Till next time, it’s Social Girl! xo